This project is read-only.

Feedback

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:26 AM
Edited Mar 30, 2011 at 12:28 AM

This application is looking really good so far and is something I would make great use of.  I understand that it's in beta so I'm in no way upset over the issues that I've noticed...  but I also I wanted to point them out to provide some feedback as to things that may need some additional attention.

First, I don't seem to be able to create maps with the Google Terrain mode.  I mean, it worked to an extent but only produced tiles with the roads, not the actually terrain which is unfortunate because that is one of the most useful styles of map for me.  

Secondly, It would be fantastic to be able to adjust the tile sizes.  My Garmin is limited to a total of 100 tiles but they can each be up to 1024x1024.  With the current 256x256 tile size I run into that limit real fast and it means I can only make small or low resolution maps.

I seem to now be having all sorts of issues downloading the tiles using the TileDownloader app.  I keep getting errors that state:  "Tile Download Error: One or more errors occured.."   Presently I'm attempting to download tiles based off of a CloudMade Terrain map.  I also received this error when trying to download from the Google Terrain map.  This worked for me earlier today (from CloudMade) but now I cannot get it to go.  It seems to be a combination of what map you're using and at what zoom level you are at.  On the CloudMade map if I zoom in past a ceartain point it will simply not work, throwing this error after 3 or 4 tiles.

Aside from those few little issues/questions this is looking fantastic!!  Great job!  I think that there are a lot of people who are going to absolutely love this program.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how it progresses and matures over time.  Thanks for all the work that you have put into it so far.

- Nate

P.S.  While I'm not new to GPS devices I am new to using Garmin's and creating custom maps.  Still learning as I go.  So if anything I've said or reported here is clearly an error on my part for lack of knowledge, I appologize in advance.  :)

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Edited Sep 14, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Hi,

just noticed the generate kml function makes 1024x1024 tile sizes perfect fit for the garmin.

Fantastic tool, just have to play around a bit with the zoom levels as the 100 tile limit in the garmin is a pain.